Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Old house

















I have taken to going out and sketching in the night. After 11, the frenzy of the day subsides a bit and the city becomes quieter. I find it easier to find a quiet place to sit and draw. The light is the dull orange of street lamps. The shadows are long and deep, the light uncertain, but by God, at least it's quiet and still.

This is the Nagarkar wada in Shaniwar Peth. A couple of girls came to me for a chat, eager to see my drawing. They live in the wada, and informed me with great satisfaction that I was not a moment too soon because the wada is to be demolished soon. They had lived all their lives (they were in 11th standard studying commerce) in the wada, and were sad that it was going to be pulled down, but pleased as well because it was really not as convenient as modern houses with water leaking down in the rainy season and numerous other inconveniences.

In the old days, the Peshwas used to visit them for an evening of entertainment. With drink flowing like water, and dancing girls, and drunken debauchery, I shouldn't be surprised, but of course I didn't express my suspicions to them, thus protecting their innocent young ears and minds from my scandalous conjectures.